While knitting the alpaca vest I started to notice that I wasn't going to have enough yarn to finish it. By my calculations there should have been enough.
I checked the size of the thing and realized that I had made an error with the gauge and was making a vest to fit an elephant. Now, I'm a kinda big guy but not that big!
I checked the gauge of the vest itself and found my error. My gauge swatch had been 6 stitches/inch but the actual vest was coming out at 5 stitches/inch. That one stitch per inch had thrown the thing way off and it was coming out huge.
Lat night I frogged it, redid the calculations for the correct gauge, and cast on what should be the correct number of stitches for the size I actually want. So now it's started over once again.
Ah well, it's a good thing this alpaca yarn is so nice to work with. :D